Thursday, December 3, 2009

Let's talk about that big guy up north

That's right, let's jump into that big bad Santa debate.

First of all, let's establish the fact that Santa- St. Nicholas- is real. We aren't talking about a legend like Babe the Blue Ox. We are talking about a very real person, who was a good person. Go ahead and google it.

Now, obviously, this very real person didn't live in our snowy north, and didn't have a bunch of little people helping him build toys, and does not have reindeer that can pull a sleigh. Those are all fictitious.

If you ask me when I stopped believing in Santa, I will tell you never. I still believe in him. So, yeah, ask me the next question- When did I stop believing in all the elves and reindeer stuff? I never did.

My parents didn't teach us to. Sure, we heard about it at school, and on the movies, and they didn't prevent it. However, they were as real to me as Rainbow Bright and My Little Ponies. IME, kids can tell the difference between real and fake. They have a light of Christ in them. If, however, an adult they trust (which, for the young ones, are just about everyone) tells them something is real, not fake, they will go with that.

So, my method is to not tell them that stuff is real. I still tell them stories about St. Nicholas, but real ones. I tell them about a man who wanted to be like Jesus, and helped people. Yes, they know about the elves, and the reindeer, and all of that. But, at that same age where they are sorting out that Spiderman isn't real, they also sort out that that stuff isn't real.

I see parents get all up in arms. One side is robbing their children of imagination, the other is lieing to their kids (who then won't believe in Jesus, either). How about a middle ground? How about you don't lie to your kids, and still let them have an imagination? Why is it that we can handle that with every other character, person, and story, but get all in a muddle with Santa?

And, as another note- I find making your kids sit on a strange old guy's lap at the mall a little creepy. Seriously, when else do you decide to force your child into a position of physical touch with a strangers? Yeah, not happening. I about had a fit when the primary president tried to tell my son he couldn't get his treat bag unless he sat on Santa's lap. No way do you bribe my child into physical contact with a strange adult by offering candy! "Here, kid, come sit on my lap and I'll give you candy." *shudder* What is wrong with people????

No comments:

Post a Comment