I've heard people complain that motherhood has the same tasks over and over again. Mundane has two definitions: "lacking interest and excitement; dull" and "of this earthly world rather than heavenly or spiritual one." I can tell you that my house of boys is never lacking excitement or dull, and I can also tell you that motherhood is far from being a task of this earthly world. I'd argue that motherhood is completely the opposite of mundane. (Admittedly, some of the tasks involved are mundane themselves- how many diapers have you changed?)
And that's exactly why I crave a task like mowing the lawn so much. No one's salvation rests on the accuracy of which I mow the lawn. But, in my home, when tears start or when a child misbehaves, how I handle it carries the weight of heaven on it. And, so, mowing the lawn is a mental, spiritual, and emotional break from that weight. The only "joy" I've found in housework and yard work is when I can do it without interruption from children and so it is mundane.
After having my fifth child, I had times where I had no idea how I would meet the needs of my children. I'm confident in my ability to keep my house at a reasonable level of clean (and by that, I mean that it will not cause illness to my children nor will someone call CPS on me for it, I keep my standards high. ;) ) I can put dinner on the table. (That's because I keep a supply of prepared foods on hand for nights when it wouldn't happen otherwise.) However, I'm not always confident in my ability to respond properly to their emotional and spiritual needs.
So, while I'm not finding refuge in lawn mowing, I have to find a way to balance the real work of motherhood. Feeling overwhelmed one day, I was prompted to pray for something. I was prompted to pay to have my efforts sanctified. Later, I ran across this quote:
"The use of medical science is not at odds with our prayers of faith and our reliance on priesthood blessings. When a person requested a priesthood blessing, Brigham Young would ask, “Have you used any remedies?” To those who said no because “we wish the Elders to lay hands upon us, and we have faith that we shall be healed,” President Young replied: “That is very inconsistent according to my faith.... If we are sick, and ask the Lord to heal us, and to do all for us that is necessary to be done, according to my understanding of the Gospel of salvation, I might as well ask the Lord to cause my wheat and corn to grow, without my plowing the ground and casting in the seed. It appears consistent to me to apply every remedy that comes within the range of my knowledge, and [then] to ask my Father in Heaven … to sanctify that application to the healing of my body.” -Dallin H. Oaks
Yes, it's about medical treatments, but I'm applying to motherhood. I am obligated to do all I can to help my children grow and after doing that, I'm privileged to have access to the Lord's healing powers. As a mother, the power and the beauty of the atonement have meant so much to me. The atonement heals both the sinner and the person who was hurt. So when my efforts as a mother are not perfect, the Lord will make up for that, both within myself and within my children. The most important thing I can do is teach them to have access to the atonement.
To Mothers, Jeffrey R. Holland said:
"If you try your best to be the best parent you can be, you will have done all that a human being can do and all that God expects you to do."
Really, the only way we can fail as mothers is to do nothing. As long as we are trying, we will succeed. That thought gives me the most comfort I possibly can find.
And, it's that thought the keeps me going in between my lawn mowing sessions.
No comments:
Post a Comment