Sunday, August 15, 2010

Object Lesson - Kryptonite

I picked up a toy for one of my kids this week. It's superman, on a ship. As I was assembling it, I ran into an odd piece in there. It was a grey bar and a green plastic block of something. I checked the instructions. The bar was supposed to be attached to the side of the ship with this green "kryptonite" hanging on there. That's right, Superman has now decided to attach the only thing that can destroy him to the side of his ship, and carry it with him. Why in the world did the toy designer thing that was a good idea?

Why would anyone think that we should keep the things that can destroy us close to us? This seems illogical. Don't we lock medications away from our kids? Don't we tell them to stay away from the road? Danger is out there, everywhere, and we will encounter it. We need to avoid attaching it to ourselves, though. Right?

The one and only thing that can keep us away from God, that can destroy us, is sin. That's it. You'd think, with that knowledge, we would then choose to keep it far away from us. Yet, we tend to be as bad as that toy maker, and not just stay close to it, but attach ourselves to it.

What's your kryponite? We all have weaknesses. What's yours? What have you done to move as far away from it as possible?

1 comment:

  1. I am really struggling with this right now. My weakness is struggling to be positive when things seem crappy. I am not sure what I am doing to stay away from being negative. I need to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete