Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Inspiration or Desperation?

Have you heard this before? "The Bishop wasn't inspired to give me that calling. It was a calling of desperation, not inspiration." "It isn't that the Lord wanted me in that calling. It's just that I am the only one who can play the piano." "I'm just the only person who was willing to do it. No one else would, so I got stuck with the job."

Sometimes, a calling just makes sense. The fact that it is obvious, or that you are the only choice, does not mean it wasn't inspired. It just means that the Lord made that one easy on the Bishop. God gave us a brain, and He expects us to use it.

I was thinking about my calling the other day. I know that I'm there because I was the only one who would do it. I also know that it is exactly where the Lord wants me to be. He set it up so I would be right there, doing that calling.

Does the Bishop ever extend a calling because it made the most sense? Sure he does. Does he extend a calling because only one person could do the job? Yes. Does he extend a calling because only one person was willing to do the job? Yes, he does that.

The greatest calling ever given was the calling Heavenly Father gave to Jesus Christ to be the Savior of the world. Let's look at that one- Was the Plan of Salvation the one that just made the most sense? Yes. It was the plan that would best fulfill the purposes of God. Did Christ get called because He was the only person who could do the job? Yes. He was the only person who would live on this earth who would be capable of being the Savior of the world. Did Christ get called because He was the only one both willing and capable of doing it? Yes. Lucifer was willing to have the glory, but he wasn't willing to do things the way God wanted.

It seems, then, that the Savior's calling was one of "desperation." He was the one and only person who could provide a Savior for the world. It just doesn't seem so bad now, to have God say, "It's you I need to do this job." Whether you will spend your life sitting behind the piano, or you are the only one who will take that Sunbeams class, remember that the Lord needs *you* and no one else to fulfill that place in His plan of salvation.

To answer the question, then- inspiration or desperation? IMO, it just doesn't matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment