Now we have a world...
I love taking my children out and about. I love experiencing things with them. But, dragging a gaggle of children into public always places a little warning in my head- Beware, danger. As I tell my kids, there are bad guys out there. They look like anyone else, though. They don't wear masks or capes to "disguise" themselves like cartoon character do. Its unwise to pretend that they don't exist.
It's also unwise to live a life of fear because of it. So, we have developed a routine for when we go to crowded places like amusement parks. First, in the car, we review safety rules. We talk about staying with Mom and Dad. We remind the children of what our FIRST names are. They need to know that. We point out what we are wearing, and, when old enough, we review cell phone numbers.
Then, when we arrive. I take my digital camera and take two pictures of each child- one face and one full-body. How much more recent can you get? I will have my camera on me, and, if lost, I can show people exactly what my child looks like that day. Rather than "blue shirt" they see exactly what the shirt looks like.
And, don't forget, as always, to ask for the Lord's protection. The Lord encouraged us to have "wholesome recreational activities" with our families. We can have His protection as we do that.
Monday, October 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So smart! GOOD ideas!
ReplyDeletethanks for this idea. it almost worked when we went to Disneyland. I took pics of all the kids on my phone. dh thought I was strange. Later on, he lost our 4 year old while I was on a ride. Of course he didn't have a pic, but the idea was good. He sees the wisdom now.
ReplyDelete