Thursday, October 1, 2009

General Conference Weekend

We all love it, right? Our semi-annual chance to sit down, and really just be fed. The rest of the year, spiritual uplift is work. It is finding time in the day for scripture study; it is trying to wrestle sacrament cups from small children; it is figuring out that the only time in the day for personal prayers is while your showering (if you get that in). It takes energy to work spiritually uplifting activities into our day-to-day lives. It is important, but it takes work.

But, twice a year, we gather as Benjamin's people did, and listen to a prophet's voice. It is a wonderful weekend.

I have found that when I put a little extra umph into my effort for it, it is even better. Here is my formula for a successful conference weekend.

First of all, I go to it with a purpose. I sit down during the week before and write down five (or so) questions that I need answers to. They could personal questions, "what should I do?" things. They could be doctrinal questions. Whatever is on my mind, gets put into a question. These are my prayer for conference. They go on the first page of my notes. On the bottom half of that page, is my list spot. This is a place where I go to jot down specific things I can do to improve my life.

As I go through conference, I take notes. On the left side of the paper, I write down things the speaker says that impress upon me as important, or clever, or interesting. On the right side, I write down promptings I have. I used to put a line straight down the middle of my paper, but that doesn't work. Some talks are full of wonderful literary gems that I just have to write down, and some open the windows of inspiration, and most of what I write down is promptings. So, instead, you see random vertical lines on my paper, indicating which "side" the note should be on.

The questions I wrote down are numbered. So, the other thing you see are numbers scattered here and there, where I found an answer to one of my questions.

Stars are placed by talks that I feel I would like to further study. I try to go back through all of them over the next 6 months, but the stars help me remember which ones felt more important and directed to me.

And, lastly, you see this note, all too often: "Go back to this one". That means, I was nursing, or doing a puzzle with a child, or missed it entirely. Because, face it, sitting there for 8 hours with children, isn't going to happen. I make the goal to get back through those talks, watching them online, during the next week. Note: I make that goal. Keep it? That varies.

What happens with the kids?

  • The friend activity from last month. They are to draw a picture of what the prophet asks them to do.
  • Bingo Cards.
  • Listen for a word. We assign a word to a talk, and have a bowl of M&Ms. Every time they hear that word, they get an M&M.
  • Dollar store puzzles, workbooks, toys. We'll let the kids know that at the next song, or other point, they will get a new one.
  • Google "general conference packet", and you'll find a large selection of games, worksheets, etc.
  • Draw your notes. This is how I started taking notes. I would draw a picture of what the speaker was talking about, adding to it as I went along. For me, keeping my hands busy keeps my mind on what is being said.

We switch it up with different techniques, treats, and, just letting them play. Sunday morning, we make it more church like, with Sunday clothes and Sunday bags.

After conference, I sit down with my notes, and my to-do list, and create a list of specific goals to work on for the next 6 months. Next April, I will revisit this list, see how I have improved, and repeat the process. General Conference has become one of my checkpoints in my spiritual journey. Over the years, I have seen my own growth through these questions, answers, goals, and improvements.

No comments:

Post a Comment